Fernwood Soft Tree Fern Panels are an ecologically friendly, non-toxic background panel made from New Zealand Tree Fern. These natural panels, also known as Xaxim tree fern panels, are excellent for use in terrariums, vivariums and 'green walls', and will support growth of epiphytes, climbing plants, vines and mosses.
The panels hold moisture very well, which in turn will keep steady humidity. The natural capillary action of the panels makes it easy to keep them damp using a drip or misting system. Fernwood Soft Tree Fern Panels can easily be cut into smaller pieces to fit individual requirements.
Our Soft Tree Fern Panels have unique and natural properties including:
- Very fibrous and strong. The panels can last many years before having to be replaced.
- Very light weight when dried.
- Natural look and colour. When wet the panels become much darker.
- Soft and porous for plant roots to easily grow onto and into the fibre.
- The ability to hold moisture for long periods of time, but also maintain good aeration within the fibre wall.
- Natural capillary action which works very well in drip wall applications. Irrigation from the top means water flows down through the panels steadily without the panels becoming water logged.
- Natural antibacterial properties that prevent some disease and keep the plants healthy and strong.
Soft Tree Fern Background Panels come in various sizes to suit your application:
For Terrariums and Vivariums
Regular - 50cm x 12.5cm x 1.5cm (19.5” x 5” x 0.6”)
Large - 50cm x 20cm x 1.5cm (19.5” x 7.8” x 0.6”)
For Green Walls
Regular - 50cm x 20cm x 3cm (19.5"x 7.8" x 1.2")
Large - 100cm x 20cm x 3cm (39" x 7.8"x 1.2")
We are happy to discuss custom cutting to meet your size requirements.
All Fernwood Products are manufactured from New Zealand Tree Fern which is sustainably harvested from privately owned forests